Half-Life Fallout: Running Steam through a Proxy server - Half-Life Fallout

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Running Steam through a Proxy server Please help

Combine Elite Pilot

#1 Posted 12 September 2004 - 03:08 AM

Steam does not have the ability to run through a proxy server to the best of my knowledge and I am on a 56k dial-up connection and would like to be able to DL CSS beta from my school but it is behind a proxy. My network admin does not care what i DL as long as it's not inappropriate/illegal as long as it goes through the proxy (no way around it, tbh). Is there any way to set Steam to run through a proxy? Any help is much appreciated

FYI, i have checked the steampowered forums, run a search here, and googled it and found nothing that could help me.

City 17 Civilian

#2 Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:40 AM

Sorry to dig out this old topic, but as I searched myself about this issue, I wanted to post a solution I found after several testing.

Steam in itself does not support using a proxy server, but a utility named SocksCap (2.40) can redirect all the traffic originating for the Steam.exe process through a proxy server specified.

I am currently using it at my job, through my SSH tunnel and it works like a charm.
Posted Image
PC: Asus M3N78 Pro, AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9500 2.2Ghz, Corsair 4x2GB DDR2-800Mhz, eVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB

City 17 Civilian

#3 Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

I can not make it work with sockscap 2,4 i am running through a proxy server at my school what is the problem?it says that there is no connection and sockscap says that the rime raned out

The Scotsman - Moderator Emeritus

#4 Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

View Postgrethe, on Sep 13 2009, 10:19 AM, said:

I can not make it work with sockscap 2,4 i am running through a proxy server at my school what is the problem?it says that there is no connection and sockscap says that the rime raned out

I suggest by searching using google and checking the steampowered.com forums, and not by posting in a 2 - 4 year old thread.
My old HLFallout username was"Kintaro"
FORMER HLF STAFF 30/08/2009 - 12/05/2012

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users