Half-Life Fallout: The Soapbox - Half-Life Fallout

Jump to content

  • (461 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Soapbox Formerly El inspector's rantbox



Sex bomb

Posts: 11,165

#1 Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

Why are games so mediocre lately? Excluding a few games that are essentially interactive novels the last game that made me go "HOLY ******* THIS IS AMAZING!" was The Darkness.

Here is a list of games I bought after I played The Darkness back in July '07:

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
GTA: Vice City Stories
Hitman: Blood Money
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Call of Duty 3
Chili Con Carnage
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Bioshock
Stranglehold
Halo 3
Orange Box
Mass Effect
Kane & Lynch
Resident Evil 4 Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Ninja Gaiden
Devil May Cry 4
BlackSite Area 51
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Advance Wars Day of Ruin
No More Heroes
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Soldier Of Fortune: Payback
Guitar Hero 3
Condemned 2
Army of Two
Dark Sector
Grand Theft Auto IV
FEAR Files
Lego Indiana Jones
The Bourne Conspiracy

Now out of those games, these are the ones that actually made me go "******* YES!":

Condemned 2
Devil May Cry 4
Stranglehold

The rest of the games in the list are either overrated and extremely boring (GTA 4) or just plain horrible (BlackSite).

What's the deal with recent games being so boring to play? Other than MGS4 and maybe the new Gears of War I'm not really interested in any of the upcoming AAA++ titles. I was looking forward to the new Alone in the Dark game but apparently that blows so I cancelled my pre-order.
Every company is way too busy thinking about new boring gimmicks (choices in Mass Effect) that they forget about the gameplay. Combat in most games is horrible and there's no feeling that you're shooting/hitting someone. The music also blows, here I am chasing X guy at the end of GTA 4 and the game is about to end, is there any song playing in the background to make the scene memorable? No, there's just pure silence.

ugh, video game developers

edit: Updated list.



Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

Posts: 3,885

#2 Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:32 AM

I see your list lacks Team Fortress 2 (or any game on the Orange Box).

Also, I thought GTA IV was fun. Maybe you just have weird tastes =/



Sex bomb

Posts: 11,165

#3 Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, I forgot to mention TF2 which I enjoyed.

I didn't like HL2: EP2 or Portal too much. There were some fun parts but in the end nothing about them was memorable.



Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

Posts: 4,637

#4 Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

Well, I clicked on this thread ready to say that you just liked the old games more because it's nostalgia, but you haven't necessarily gone that route.


First off, I'd say all the games you picked as the stand outs were very boring to me, exception being Condemned 2. So we got the obvious taste issue right there.


Bioshock - I enjoyed it, maybe not to the extremes that some people did but I thought it deserved a lot of the praise it got.

Hitman - the more recent one for the current consoles... sucked. I think they managed to make the controls more difficult.

CoD 3 - I dunno why everyone hates Treyarch so much... all I hear is that people avoid every other CoD game like the plague. It's CoD, same thing more story/game I kinda enjoy that.

Halo 3
- Wasn't as bad as I was expecting... it was like the other two, average. I don't like the multiplayer... same reason I don't like games like UT3. I can play the frenzied action multiplayer with some of the best, but I find it far to boring.

Ninja Gaiden Black - I bought it because I've always heard it was awesome and super hard. I spent $20 to find out that the game wasn't hard, but the controls were like using a drunk driving simulator for a school bus with bricks for wheels. I was sorely unimpressed. I lost any respect in the title almost immediately. I'll try out #2, but only if it's a cheap rent of a friend has it.

MoH: Airborne - At first it wasn't too bad. I'm tired of killing massive amounts of my ancestors, but I like WWII games too much not to play a few of them. I got quite disappointed when the Uber Nazi walked out wearing an SS parade uniform, gas mask, and wielding an MG42 at the hip. It was average to a bit below.

Wii games - I beat the Zelda game, it was good, I have the Mario game and I'm only semi interested in playing it, and a friend left No More Heros here and I'm tempted to play. The only problem is... I facking hate the Wiimote. It's freaking anoying and have the time I just end up spasming my arm because swinging isn't as successful. I won't be playing most of the games from Nintendo that I would because of this.

Mass Effect - I'm playing it right now... Ya, the comabt's iffy, I'm not sure there's any point to using the biotic/tech crap, and it kinda feels like it's lacking... but it's more KOTOR like play and story and I'll be damned if I don't like it. I'm pissed I haven't played this sooner, I meant to but kinda went broke hah.


anyway there's my opinion on a few... back to Mass Effect.



Freedom Fighter

Posts: 385

#5 Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:59 AM

I feel that games just aren't evolving as quickly as they should be. I think this is mainly because people are trying to play it safe making cookie cutter games. And I think this trend is continuing because its been proven profitable. As long as people keep buying crap games I don't see this trend ending. But hey, if it isn't broken why fix it? We need more risk takers, but that can be costly. It just isn't as "safe" as doing something that has been done before and has sold well in the past. My only hope for gaming is technology. To reinvent gaming altogether and how we interact with our games.
Posted Image



G-Man Personal Aid

Posts: 2,234

#6 Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

View PostPvt_ShADoW, on Jun 20 2008, 09:59 AM, said:

I feel that games just aren't evolving as quickly as they should be. I think this is mainly because people are trying to play it safe making cookie cutter games. And I think this trend is continuing because its been proven profitable. As long as people keep buying crap games I don't see this trend ending. But hey, if it isn't broken why fix it? We need more risk takers, but that can be costly. It just isn't as "safe" as doing something that has been done before and has sold well in the past. My only hope for gaming is technology. To reinvent gaming altogether and how we interact with our games.


I think making something new, and original is very hard to do in this industry. Quick, give me a great new original idea for a video game that seems feasibly easy to produce in 2-3 years. Making games is a very time consuming endeavour, especially when you're trying out new gameplay ideas that have to be tested constantly.

I wish consumers would be a little more understanding....
MaK: I pwnd that Hello World and Variables tutorials
MaK: Now I'm downloading the Direct X SDK



Freedom Fighter

Posts: 385

#7 Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

View Postmastersmith98, on Jun 20 2008, 10:08 AM, said:

I think making something new, and original is very hard to do in this industry.


I couldn't agree more. I'm actually skeptical if I'll ever live to see something that will actually "knock my socks off".


View Postmastersmith98, on Jun 20 2008, 10:08 AM, said:

Quick, give me a great new original idea for a video game that seems feasibly easy to produce in 2-3 years. Making games is a very time consuming endeavour, especially when you're trying out new gameplay ideas that have to be tested constantly.

I wish consumers would be a little more understanding....


Agreed.

I never said anything regarding on how long it takes to develop a quality game. I was speaking about the direction in which games are heading/evolving into.
Posted Image



The Scotsman - Moderator Emeritus

Posts: 3,874

#8 Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:07 AM

Stranglehold!? That game sucked. Guess that's you're opinion though.
My old HLFallout username was"Kintaro"
FORMER HLF STAFF 30/08/2009 - 12/05/2012



Prowler

Posts: 794

#9 Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

Theres too many games for which the player starts with nothing....and slowly builds to something, e.g finding a new better weapon, or finding a key that opens a vault full of goodies for the player. I know this doesnt make much sense at first but what about a game for which the player starts with everything. The controller of a kingdom, a gangster that controls an drug empire. Can do whatever you want. How hard would it be to control a drug empire, geting backstabbed. Your mission is to get rid of infidels that penetrate your empires core. At first you seem that everything is fine and dandy. Little did you realise that you as the leader are getting backstabbed by your yes men. You dont know who to trust! Just a suggestion!



Poison Piealicious

Posts: 4,115

#10 Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

Well first off I'd like to say that this is obviously an personal issue. Some people are easier satisified or more forgiving of small faults. While others have higher expectations.

Secondly there is a sort of dilution in the market. Despite being a relatively new medium there are and have been a lot of games on the market the past several decades. The more games and studios there are, the harder it becomes to find something original or stand out in the crowd. And the more it all begins to feel the same.

As a third we need to remember that most professional studios are bussiness and as such in the market for profit. Considering the investment that goes into a making a game nowadays (manhours, equipment and what more), people are often unwilling to take big risks. Development times are several years. A flop could cost the company it's live and on one hand we can't blame them for wishing to stay afloat.
As a side node perhaps a new bussiness model might help in the risk department. A sort of pilot project, a small game for a lower price that test the willingness of the market.

And as a fourth perhaps it's the media hype that has begun to surround games that set our expectations to high. We hear big praise from game reporting sites and magazines, advertising promises a lot and as a result we expect too much from games.

Though I do agree, that often focus too much on the new gimmick or just one thing and often neglect things like music, story or other gameplay.

EDIT: Fonax because that goes against the standard reward system in a game. If you start out with everything there is little to strife for so to say. From a storyline perspective it could work, from a gameplay perspective, it would be hard to motivate people to keep playing I would think.
Posted Image



Freedom Fighter

Posts: 385

#11 Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

View PostBerrie, on Jun 20 2008, 11:12 AM, said:

EDIT: Fonax because that goes against the standard reward system in a game. If you start out with everything there is little to strife for so to say. From a storyline perspective it could work, from a gameplay perspective, it would be hard to motivate people to keep playing I would think.


Thats what I was thinking.
Posted Image



Prowler

Posts: 794

#12 Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

View PostBerrie, on Jun 20 2008, 12:12 PM, said:

EDIT: Fonax because that goes against the standard reward system in a game. If you start out with everything there is little to strife for so to say. From a storyline perspective it could work, from a gameplay perspective, it would be hard to motivate people to keep playing I would think.


Yeh i understand your point, but that would be the whole point of the game. As it is storyline based. How about for example, your empire is crumbling...you dont know why. You've gone around and gave the punishment beatings, gave pay rises for henchmen to do more demanding tasks such as transport your drugs. Still everything is failing. Your most trusted henchman said he will stay by your side. And has...but one day the police storm your home, arrest you for fraud, and there in the background is your most trusted henchman smiling. He sold you out, gave the police everythin on you as there was a reward to infilltrate the drug ring. Your shocked...you the player want to get some sort of revenge. You have just lost everything. What are you going to do about it? You go to jail.....no you dont escape. You have a tough time there...the jail in itself is also a game, you have to build your player up and do tasks..e.g smuggle heroin to inmates, provide higher status prisioners with playboy books still you can survive within a gang in jail.Its still in your mind tho that you got sold out. You eventually build your own empire in jail, behind the backs of the governors. You control all aspects of the jail, and it is now your time to break free.



Freedom Fighter

Posts: 287

#13 Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

View PostFonaX, on Jun 20 2008, 12:37 PM, said:

Yeh i understand your point, but that would be the whole point of the game. As it is storyline based. How about for example, your empire is crumbling...you dont know why. You've gone around and gave the punishment beatings, gave pay rises for henchmen to do more demanding tasks such as transport your drugs. Still everything is failing. Your most trusted henchman said he will stay by your side. And has...but one day the police storm your home, arrest you for fraud, and there in the background is your most trusted henchman smiling. He sold you out, gave the police everythin on you as there was a reward to infilltrate the drug ring. Your shocked...you the player want to get some sort of revenge. You have just lost everything. What are you going to do about it? You go to jail.....no you dont escape. You have a tough time there...the jail in itself is also a game, you have to build your player up and do tasks..e.g smuggle heroin to inmates, provide higher status prisioners with playboy books still you can survive within a gang in jail.Its still in your mind tho that you got sold out. You eventually build your own empire in jail, behind the backs of the governors. You control all aspects of the jail, and it is now your time to break free.

this wouldnt work as a FPS, but by god it would make an awesome RTS!
Destruction leads to a very rough road, but it also breeds creation.



Freedom Fighter

Posts: 278

#14 Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

Quote

Stranglehold was an amazing game and the interactivity of the storyline in Mass Effect sucked *******.


No offense, but is that seriously what you're saying? REALLY???

Of course you're entitled to your own opinion and all but a statement like that takes away any credibility you may have had left after lying about buying all those games when you and I both know you downloaded them. Hah! Seriously, the costs of all those games is around 1600 Dollars. Assuming that you even make that much money on a yearly basis, why would you buy half of those games?! Everyone knows that 80% of the games on that list suck *******, why would you even go out and buy them?

Update: Never mind what I said. I haven't had a joint since I got up, that explains my weird behavior...



Poison Piealicious

Posts: 4,115

#15 Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

View PostPanacea, on Jun 20 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

Of course you're entitled to your own opinion and all but a statement like that takes away any credibility you may have had left after lying about buying all those games when you and I both know you downloaded them. Hah! Seriously, the costs of all those games is around 1600 Dollars. Assuming that you even make that much money on a yearly basis, why would you buy half of those games?!


He's a South American druglord, of course he has the money.
Posted Image

  • (461 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users