Half-Life Fallout: 19 Year old commits suicide on Justin.tv - Half-Life Fallout

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 Year old commits suicide on Justin.tv Guy commits suicide after posting on forums

Bitches Ain't Shit

#16 Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:29 AM

Wait the father wanted people on the internet to give him the assistance he was crying out for?
Posted Image

The Greatest Man Alive

#17 Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:25 AM

This was the guy's fault and his alone. The people on the internet had no reason to call the authorities for him. Maybe if he posted a blog that said he feels like killing himself, but damn straight announcing he is not only going to kill himself, but film it, just reeks of somebody looking for attention on their web cam channel, possibly even ready to stage it.

People on the internet had little reason why they should be blamed for the fact he didn't get help sooner. The internet is what it is. Nobody is going to risk creating a disturbance of some kind because somebody on the internet may be plotting an elaborate hoax.

Should they have called the police? In hindsight, yes. However, those involved didn't have the luxury of hindsight.

I feel bad for the kid, because I have no idea what drove him to this horrible outcome. I have suffered from depression dozens of times since an early age. It sucks. Right now I have symptoms of depression. However, I would never kill myself.

If I want help from people on the internet, I would just ask. I wouldn't say I am going to commit suicide and even If I did to get police or parent involvement, I wouldn't actually do it.

It's an unfortunate circumstance, but the parents, the people on the internet that watched and the people on the forum should not be blamed for this.
Posted Image
Click on my signature banner for my Let's Play YouTube Channel: RoyalFino.

City 17 Civilian

#18 Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:29 AM

Killing self is sad...it makes me cry inside for his family.

Frohman Personal Aid

#19 Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:19 AM

I was expecting more 4chan, but he seemed to get away with only a small handful of "do it fa**ot"s.

I tend not to have too much sympathy for people who destroy their lives by choice from smoking/drugs/obesity, but obviously it's completely different if they're bipolar and have depression. It sucks that this happens, but that is life. Sucks most for his family of course, and I'm sorry for them.

There's plenty of suicides in the world, and the fact that they're increasingly becoming public because of the Internet is hardly justification for laying blame on it. In this case, perhaps someone could have called the cops sooner, but given the circumstances it's a bit far-fetched to suggest it was their responsibility. There are no obligations on the Internet, for better or worse. It's easy to say there's a moral obligation to call the cops, but would you have done it?

2 cents. Please disagree.
Posted Image

Though it's kind of dead too.

G-Man Personal Aid

#20 Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:20 AM

This is very sad news. I think people should have informed Justin.tv of what was going on. Are strangers responsible for other peoples well being? No, but if you think someone needs help. I think you should at least try to get them some help.

Here is more info on him. ~ link1, link2, link3, NewTeeVee.com, CNN Video, myspace.
Posted Image

21st Century Schizoid Man

#21 Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:47 AM

::rip::

xjr dont you broadcast there?
Posted Image

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

#22 Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:48 AM

Sad *******, brah.
[ sig removed: image(s) larger than 400x80 or 60kb (see discussion rules) ]

Captain America

#23 Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:12 AM

Brutal.

Reminds me of this.

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#24 Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:24 AM

View PostJob_314, on Nov 22 2008, 01:12 AM, said:

Brutal.

Reminds me of this.

Did they actually kill anyone?
Posted Image

I'm colorblind so I think the art i make looks cool

#25 Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:41 AM

View PostHotGore, on Nov 21 2008, 08:29 PM, said:

Wait the father wanted people on the internet to give him the assistance he was crying out for?

Well most of the people lead different lives on the internets. Obviously, the father never expected his son to kill himself because he never witnessed his son acting suicidal in real life. Its apparent that his suicidal tendencies used to come out on the forums, which the father can't be aware of. I mean, whose father checks on their kids forums?

His father is not familiar with the amount of hoaxes and apathy that runs in forums (ANY forum, btw) and chatrooms. He also did not know that the internet was a way of release for his son, which is quite common for kids these days. I'm not faulting his dad though. He just expected "people on the internet" to be as courteous and empathetic as people IRL. Ultimately its his son's fault, but calling 911 if you suspect some dude is gonna OD on xanax bars will not hurt anyone.

EDIT: I also agree with fin0j05 that its easy to point fingers now because we have the power of hindsight.
Posted Image

#26 Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:19 AM

Yeah I think in the Father's case it's simply a generational gap... us younger folks know that the 'net is a hive of scum and villainy... and wouldn't expect it to act out of character for our personal benefit.

This is just really a sad... I have sympathy for the kid's family, though my sympathy for the kid himself is somewhat dulled by the fact that there comes a time when someone's gotta man up and take responsibility for what they're doing wrong... by changing it, or finding a way of living that works.

I'm confused as hell by suicide honestly... part of me wants to be a bit sympathetic to their pre-suicide plight, and another part of me has decided quite firmly that it's the cowards way out and solves nothing.

Long term solutions to short term difficulties suck *******.

Scholar and a Gentleman

#27 Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:18 AM

Man, if George Carlin could've seen this...
[360 Gamertag] [Last.fm] [unikGamer] [PSN ID] [Steam] [Anime] [Discogs] [Criticker] 3DS: 4596-9700-4475

G-Man Personal Aid

#28 Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:22 AM

View PostVN1X, on Nov 22 2008, 10:18 AM, said:

Man, if George Carlin could've seen this...

Man, if Elvis Presley could've seen this... Anyways, you think this is the first internet suicide?
Posted Image

#29 Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:31 AM

View Postswan_song1977, on Nov 22 2008, 04:47 AM, said:

::rip::

xjr dont you broadcast there?

Yeah man, on and off. It's quite sad really.

Posted Image

Sex bomb

#30 Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:34 AM

good riddance

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users