• (106 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Left 4 Dead 2 L4D Goes South!

The Greatest Man Alive

#1 Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:11 AM

Since nobody has done it yet and we need one.

Valve Announces Left 4 Dead 2
June 1, 2009, 12:05 pm - Valve - Press Release

Sequel to Best-Selling Co-op Thriller Coming This Holiday

June 1, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2), the sequel to the best-selling and critically-acclaimed co-operative multiplayer thriller.

Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 and PC, L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-operative action games and become one of 2009's marquee titles.

"A large part of how Left 4 Dead became 2008's top-selling new IP on Xbox 360 and the PC was the custom-tailored gameplay made possible by the AI Director," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "With the knowledge gained from creating the original, new technology, and a passionate team, L4D2 will set a new benchmark for cooperative action games."

Set for release on November 17, the title adds melee combat to enable deeper co-operative gameplay, with items such as a chainsaw, frying pan, axe, baseball bat, and more.

Introducing the AI Director 2.0, L4D's dynamic gameplay is taken to the next level by giving the Director the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects, and pathways in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match the players' performance. The result is a unique game session custom fitted to provide a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience each time the game is played.

Featuring new Survivors, boss zombies, weapons, and items, Left 4 Dead 2 offers a much larger game than the original with more co-operative campaigns, more Versus campaigns, and maps for Survival mode available at launch.

Supported by a $10+ million marketing campaign, Left 4 Dead has sold over 2.5 million retail copies since it was released in November of 2008. Left 4 Dead 2 is targeted for release on Xbox 360 and the PC on November 17, 2009, and will be launched worldwide with a multi-million dollar marketing campaign across TV, Outdoor, and Online.

"Left 4 Dead was backed by our most aggressive advertising campaign to date, and resulted in a top 5 showing on two platforms during holiday 2008," said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. "Left 4 Dead 2 is a larger game and will be supported with even more consumer and retail advertising programs than the original."

Left 4 Dead 2 will be featured as the cover story on PC Gamer and Official Xbox Magazines this month.

Source: http://www.steampowered.com

All Left 4 Dead 2 stuff goes here.
Posted Image
Click on my signature banner for my Let's Play YouTube Channel: RoyalFino.

Laughing Man

#2 Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:21 AM

I'd like to kick off this thread by expressing my deep dislike of this game as an idea. The general census of, "It could have been done in an expansions pack or DLC." is what I agree with most.
Steam ID
Resident Tin Foil Hat Wearer (Anti-Digital)

The Greatest Man Alive

#3 Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:24 AM

As long as Valve makes it good enough to be more than an expansion and more than just a "It could have been done in an expansions pack or DLC" sequel, then it's fine by me.

It's not like Valve to put "2" behind a title without it actually being worth it. They have gone this long avoiding Counter-Strike 2 or Day of Defeat 2. They even made a point by saying Portal 2 will take time to make it special.

I have faith there is more to come with Left 4 Dead 2 that will make it worth it. They have even said they will continue to support and add to the original game.

One thing I am hoping for is 4-player support for the 360 so I can have a full team in my living room.
Posted Image
Click on my signature banner for my Let's Play YouTube Channel: RoyalFino.

Frohman Personal Aid

#4 Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:34 AM

Before railing against it, listen to Chet Faliszek's interview with RPS's John Walker (and the RPS hands-on preview). He talks a lot about it, and it really doesn't sound like the kind of thing you could just drop on top of L4D1. It's much bigger, and very different.

He also talks about how they will absolutely not be dropping support for L4D1, the content will keep coming. The idea of L4D2 seems to be a "full, complete self-contained story with these 5 campaigns and these 4 characters", "whole other experience in that same world". As far as I can tell, it's not intended to be a hard upgrade in the sense that a new iteration of an EA Sports game effectively replaces the previous year's version.

Give it a chance is all I'm saying. It's sounds like a healthy expansion of the L4D world.
Posted Image

Though it's kind of dead too.

Barney's Personal Aid

#5 Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:03 AM

I can see the DLC argument, but I think Valve will lower the price a bit and it won't be the full $60 that a normal 360 game would be because this will be so similar.
Posted Image

Throwing feces at your screen.

#6 Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:14 AM

View PostPie21, on Jun 2 2009, 05:34 AM, said:

It's much bigger, and very different.

It's the same game with some new content, don't try to deny it. If this game comes out for 50,- Valve would be insane. Paying 50,- every year for a L4D update is just absurd.
Posted Image
SPAAAACEEE!

#steamid: stfutnx

Sex bomb

#7 Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:41 AM

I'm looking forward to everyone going "WHY ISN'T THIS AN EXPANSION ******* YOU VALVE" buying it then getting L4D3 six months after that.

sons i am disappont

G-Man Personal Aid

#8 Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:45 AM

yeah thats what sucks and i bet L4D 3 will be a mix of both.
Posted Image
Playstation Network Id: thegodnedeti|
PC Gaming: no more PC, since Valve is PS3 lover.

F%$k S%$t Stack

#9 Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:58 AM

What. The. *******.

blah blah blah DLC blah blah blah Vagina hurts blah blah blah

JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE, GET A GRIP!

Are you serious? 5 campaigns as DLC? That is more than the original game shipped with! Plus its in an ENTIRELY different setting with new characters, updated AI director, etc. etc. etc.

We should all be APPLAUDING Valve for surprising us with this, especially considering they are the company that NEVER announces a game in the same 5 years that it will be released.

I, for one, am really excited for this. L4D is an excellent game. Really my only complaint with the existing version is that the game ended up with fewer weapons than advertised... but I got used to that. The addition of survival mode and the 2 extra versus maps was a welcome update.

Seriously though, if you're going to ******* about the fact that you want 5 extra full-length campaigns as DLC, I'm going to cock slap you.

Prowler

#10 Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:11 AM

View PostLaughing Stoic, on Jun 1 2009, 11:58 PM, said:

What. The. *******.
JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE, GET A GRIP!

Are you serious? 5 campaigns as DLC? That is more than the original game shipped with! Plus its in an ENTIRELY different setting with new characters, updated AI director, etc. etc. etc.

We should all be APPLAUDING Valve for surprising us with this, especially considering they are the company that NEVER announces a game in the same 5 years that it will be released.

I, for one, am really excited for this. L4D is an excellent game. Really my only complaint with the existing version is that the game ended up with fewer weapons than advertised... but I got used to that. The addition of survival mode and the 2 extra versus maps was a welcome update.

Seriously though, if you're going to ******* about the fact that you want 5 extra full-length campaigns as DLC, I'm going to cock slap you.

Is this.....logic? GET OUT OF HERE WITH THAT *******!!!!!!
Posted Image
Fighting Texas Aggie Bonfire|Hart Hall Black Pot 2011

G-Man Personal Aid

#11 Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:22 AM

Woah, this is complete blasphemy! A company like Valve is not capable of releasing a sequel so soon. First they must make a completely new engine, have it leaked, make a revision of the engine and blame it on the leak, take at least 5 years...Only then, can you have a sequel to a Valve game.

But honestly, I wish they would instead release a new version of CS or something. That's like their version of Starcraft that doesn't seem to ever want to die, just look at how many people still play 1.6

G-Man Personal Aid

#12 Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:27 AM

The only thing I don't like about L4D 2 is how the settings take place during the day. I can be wrong and it might turn out great. It's too early for me to say for sure.
Posted Image

F%$k S%$t Stack

#13 Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:33 AM

View PostTorrent, on Jun 2 2009, 05:22 AM, said:

But honestly, I wish they would instead release a new version of CS or something. That's like their version of Starcraft that doesn't seem to ever want to die, just look at how many people still play 1.6

Think about that.

HINT:

Spoiler

Frohman Personal Aid

#14 Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:44 AM

View PostMonkeh, on Jun 2 2009, 02:14 PM, said:

It's the same game with some new content, don't try to deny it.

Well as long as you're being reasonable about it.

Why do discussions of video games always have to resort to gross exaggerations? It's the same game in the same way that "Ep2 is the same game as Ep1, only with new content". I never said it was HL2 to L4D's HL1, I just said it's very different. If you're going to define content as everything in a game except the story, then any iteration of L4D is going to be the same game with new content no matter how different they make it.

It's the same theme, core, soul, whatever you want to call it as L4D1, obviously, and that's what will ensure it's a great game. The thing is it brings a number of advances that simply wouldn't mesh with L4D1 if you tried to drop them in on it. L4D1 has a number of weaknesses that need to be addressed, and you could either patch them all up (which they still should, I'm not arguing that, and Chet said the content would keep coming) or start from (relatively) scratch by stripping the game down to the golden axles that make it run so smoothly and build a new version of the game on top of them in such as way as to incorporate all the advancements in the most natural way.

You COULD simply introduce the Charger and various other bosses to L4D1, and just drop melee weapons into the world of L4D1, and edit in dynamic maps to L4D1, and add weather to L4D1, and make some L4D1 maps in the daytime, and introduce 4 new characters to L4D1, and make an entirely new campaign of campaigns for L4D1 with those new characters, and modify the structure of the maps in L4D1, and upgrade the Director to handle all this stuff in L4D1. But after all that, you wouldn't have L4D1 any more, you'd just have L4D2. Now you may say this is a good thing, as everyone gets the 'better' experience, but I would argue that value would be lost because L4D1 is such a great game as it is. You would effectively be REMOVING one game and INTRODUCING a new one if you were to copy all that new content over to it.

Hypothetical question: if L4D2 was free for all L4D1 owners but was still a standalone game, would you support it or continue to oppose it? It's easy to understand economic arguments, but they're so shallow and tiresome that you may as well go and scream them into the void that is the Steampowered forums.

tl;dr:
No, that's just dumb.
Posted Image

Though it's kind of dead too.

F%$k S%$t Stack

#15 Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

View PostPie21, on Jun 2 2009, 05:44 AM, said:

It's easy to understand economic arguments, but they're so shallow and tiresome that you may as well go and scream them into the void that is the Steampowered forums.

You're right, it is easy:

Gamer "x": But I already paid for the FIRST game!

Developer: Yes, but we had to work on this as much as we would any other standalone game. Its not free to make.

Gamer "x": Yeah, but I already gave you $40!

Developer: Uh, well you got the first Left 4 Dead for that. Now we're making Left 4 Dead 2. It has 5 new campaigns, new characters, new weapons, and a whole bunch of other features and content.

Gamer "x": Yeah, but I already bought a game called "Left 4 Dead!"

Developer: Okay. Let me try again. Lets say you go to the Toyota dealership and buy a 2009 Prius.

Gamer "x": Right.

Developer: And then you use that car for a year, and the 2010 Prius comes out.

Gamer "x": Uh-huh.

Developer: So do you get to go to the Toyota dealership and get the 2010 Prius for free just because you paid for one before?

Gamer "x": I don't know what you're talking about, BUT I ALREADY GAVE YOU $40!!!!!!!

Developer: ~, /kill

• (106 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users