• (106 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Left 4 Dead 2 L4D Goes South!

Prowler

#16 Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:54 AM

I already told you once. GET OUT OF HERE WITH THAT LOGICAL ARGUMENT ******* !
Posted Image
Fighting Texas Aggie Bonfire|Hart Hall Black Pot 2011

G-Man Personal Aid

#17 Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:03 AM

Me: But I already pirated your game!

Developer: ...

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#18 Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:18 AM

New info:

There’s four new characters to play, each with back-stories to be hinted at in their conversations. Coach is a high school football coach from the Savannah area, used to leading the kids, comfortable in his life, and perhaps not enamoured by the arrival of a zombie attack. There’s Rochelle, from Cleveland originally, working for a cable news network. She’s producing a segment on this strange story occurring in Savannah, and gets caught up in the events. Ellis is a Southern boy mechanic, an enthusiastic but smart guy with a “Southern flair”. Finally there’s Nick, a gambler and a conman, unsure of his company and cynical about the events.

Perhaps one of the most endearing aspects of L4D was the characters’ surprisingly apt and timely remarks about the events, and occasional exchanges. This is to be expanded upon, with many more back-and-forth moments of chatter appropriate to the events happening around you.

The Charger. Looking like a crossbreed between a Tank and a Common Infected (what an unholy union that would be) the beast has one giant mutated arm, which he uses to shoulder-charge the Survivors. He knocks you down, but doesn’t incapacitate you. Rather you’re off balance for a moment. As happened to us as we played with Valve designers, he’s capable of taking out many of you in a single charge, sending us flying like bowling pins.

While other Specials aren’t yet shown, we have seen some changes to the familiar. Rather cutely, some of the Common Infected have been changed while in hazmat suits. This means laying down walls of Molotov cocktail fire won’t keep everyone away any more, as the fire-proof baddies can run right through. The pay-off for this is exploding their heads and seeing the goo splat against the inside of the perspex visor.

But perhaps most exciting is the Wandering Witch.

Rather than sitting crouched, sobbing, singing, now this most terrifying of gaming enemies methodically paces around, wandering where she sees fit, although still apparently zoned out. She may be on foot, but she’s no more interested in being disturbed. This adds in a whole new aspect to Witch evasion. No longer can you simply take the long way around where she’s squatted. Instead, she may well be walking exactly where you’re headed. Or worse, walking up behind you, singing her haunting song, suddenly infuriated by you when you swing around in terror.

it’s important to stress that while this is obviously still the same L4D core experience, it’s certainly not a bunch of new maps thrown into the old game. It’s a coherent new imagining of the game, this time bigger, smarter, and far more elaborate. Oh, and gloriously more gory.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Read more about meeleeing and other fun stuff here. L4D2 looks like its using the updated TF2 engine. After reading the preview, I guess I agree that this was too much content for a DLC or a patch.
Posted Image

I am a Lie

Icon

#19 Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:34 AM

don't be mad at valve, it's all about money.

they've taken care of us for a year with the first one, there's only so much more they can do with it for free
Posted Image

Sex bomb

#20 Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

they can make l4d2 in less than a year

they can't make episode 3 in less than 50

goddamn

#21 Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

I'm disappointed in Valve. I did not see this ******* one coming. I'm rather confused too, Left 4 Dead is doing as good as it can right now (if you know what I mean) and then they do this?

Im not so pissed at the game itself, they could have waited though.

I would have preferred to see Episode 3 info or maybe even Portal 2 info, but this? I'm getting worried that this is all Valve has to offer us at E3 this year.

Posted Image

Mr. Frost

#22 Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

Well it looks like it's going to be more of the same. Only with new characters, weapons and maps. I have nothing against that but it feels like Valve's trick to get more time to work on EP3. Anyway day 1 buy for me, I love L4D. More content is always good, could've been free though. This is also probably why we never got any new maps or weapons etc. I hope they wont put it as a full priced game, might wait a bit if that's the case we'll see.

I am really a brain in a jar.

#23 Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

View PostPie21, on Jun 1 2009, 09:34 PM, said:

Before railing against it, listen to Chet Faliszek's interview with RPS's John Walker (and the RPS hands-on preview). He talks a lot about it, and it really doesn't sound like the kind of thing you could just drop on top of L4D1. It's much bigger, and very different.

He also talks about how they will absolutely not be dropping support for L4D1, the content will keep coming. The idea of L4D2 seems to be a "full, complete self-contained story with these 5 campaigns and these 4 characters", "whole other experience in that same world". As far as I can tell, it's not intended to be a hard upgrade in the sense that a new iteration of an EA Sports game effectively replaces the previous year's version.

Give it a chance is all I'm saying. It's sounds like a healthy expansion of the L4D world.

Ok, I'll back it if there's a story line. I remember after I bought L4D, I realized instanly that it wasn't going to be story based, I got kind of miffed. I'm just not that into online team based games, I know that they're fun as hell but I get bored of those after a while.
Posted Image
SentientGraphics Website| FaceBook| From 4bit to 64bit; Gaming for 36 years 1977-2013

G-Man Personal Aid

#24 Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

There's more than 1 team at Valve remember working on different things so it's not as if they stopped Ep3 development for L4D2.

L4D2 looks too bright to me and not just because it's in the day. The clothes are too bright and don't set the scene like in the first they were roughed up a bit but it looks like they've just walked out of a shop with new clothes here.
Posted Image

#25 Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

I want a boomer in a Hawaiian shirt.

Posted Image

Throwing feces at your screen.

#26 Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:51 PM

View PostPie21, on Jun 2 2009, 07:44 AM, said:

Well as long as you're being reasonable about it.

Why do discussions of video games always have to resort to gross exaggerations? It's the same game in the same way that "Ep2 is the same game as Ep1, only with new content". I never said it was HL2 to L4D's HL1, I just said it's very different. If you're going to define content as everything in a game except the story, then any iteration of L4D is going to be the same game with new content no matter how different they make it.

It's the same theme, core, soul, whatever you want to call it as L4D1, obviously, and that's what will ensure it's a great game. The thing is it brings a number of advances that simply wouldn't mesh with L4D1 if you tried to drop them in on it. L4D1 has a number of weaknesses that need to be addressed, and you could either patch them all up (which they still should, I'm not arguing that, and Chet said the content would keep coming) or start from (relatively) scratch by stripping the game down to the golden axles that make it run so smoothly and build a new version of the game on top of them in such as way as to incorporate all the advancements in the most natural way.

You COULD simply introduce the Charger and various other bosses to L4D1, and just drop melee weapons into the world of L4D1, and edit in dynamic maps to L4D1, and add weather to L4D1, and make some L4D1 maps in the daytime, and introduce 4 new characters to L4D1, and make an entirely new campaign of campaigns for L4D1 with those new characters, and modify the structure of the maps in L4D1, and upgrade the Director to handle all this stuff in L4D1. But after all that, you wouldn't have L4D1 any more, you'd just have L4D2. Now you may say this is a good thing, as everyone gets the 'better' experience, but I would argue that value would be lost because L4D1 is such a great game as it is. You would effectively be REMOVING one game and INTRODUCING a new one if you were to copy all that new content over to it.

Hypothetical question: if L4D2 was free for all L4D1 owners but was still a standalone game, would you support it or continue to oppose it? It's easy to understand economic arguments, but they're so shallow and tiresome that you may as well go and scream them into the void that is the Steampowered forums.

tl;dr:
No, that's just dumb.

Isn't L4D2 suppose to take over from L4D? I doubt many people who buy L4D2 will go back to L4D saying: "Oh, thank God I can still play this game without the extra bosses and weapons and with the old AI director I've gotten to know so well"..

I'm definentaly willing pay for this update, but I'm not willing to pay the price of a full new game.

And if L4D2 was free for L4D users, why would I care? I'd get it for free. An update for L4D would still have been better in my eyes, though.

I'll probably end up buying this game anyway, just because I've had some good times with L4D.
Posted Image
SPAAAACEEE!

#steamid: stfutnx

Prowler

#27 Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

Sounds like EA cant see any profit with valve unless they 'FORCE' them to release games earlier than 5-6years later.

Combine Elite Pilot

#28 Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

View PostXJR, on Jun 2 2009, 08:40 AM, said:

I want a boomer in a Hawaiian shirt.

And a green visor. Oooh and some sandals. Maybe director can add socks to some and not others. That would be perfect.
I'm good at showering.

The Greatest Man Alive

#29 Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

Only one map is during the day I hear. Though, all that is confirmed is NOT ALL of the maps are day light.
Posted Image
Click on my signature banner for my Let's Play YouTube Channel: RoyalFino.

#30 Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

I personally think it looks crap.
[signature deleted: image larger than 400x80 pixels or 60kb]

• (106 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users