Half-Life Fallout: Steam game resale service - Half-Life Fallout

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam game resale service

Citadel Elite Guard

#1 Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:55 AM

So, my friend and I were discussing steam the other day, and he mentioned how the thing he didn't like about buying games off steam was that he could not re-sell the game. This got me thinking that it would be a really cool idea if steam created a "forum" where people could sell games they no longer play to other steam users.

I think it would go a little like this: If you would like to sell your game, there is a public forum where you could go on steam. Here you could put the game up for a price. You should be allowed to set the price you would like to sell the game for. In this way, supply and demand would govern the prices of games (possibly steam could set max and min prices, but i would prefer no interference and let the market handle it). People looking to buy games could search for their game, and buy the game from whoever they choose (ie the lowest price).

So what does the seller get? Well, instead of money, the seller would get "credits" which they can use on steam to buy more games. One problem with this system is that Valve would probably rather just have people buy a new game than purchase a re-sell for lower value. However, if you have to spend these credits on steam, that would help valve make some more money. And just maybe, people would be more encouraged to buy even more games if they didnt have to pay full price. Then it would turn out to be a benefit for Valve.

Just an interesting little idea I thought up. What do you guys think? Do you like the idea and do think it is feasible?
"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable."-Voltaire

Go Colts! Superbowl XLI Champions!

Son of Brumi

#2 Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:01 AM

not gunna happen
Posted Image
SteamID: neva- :PSN

Hupsakee!

Icon

#3 Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:05 AM

Publishers hate used game sales, because they don't get any money from those sales.

On Steam, there are no commodities exchanged, you only buy a license, so the whole concept of used game is ludicrous. Why would it be cheaper the second time around you sell it? It's the same exact game.
So I don't see this happening...ever.

Besides, I'd hate to see steam start using "credits" like the bullcrap we have on consoles. If I want to buy a 2 euros game, I don't want to buy 10 euros of credit for it.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Poison Piealicious

#4 Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:36 AM

View PostBrumisator, on Dec 7 2009, 03:05 AM, said:

On Steam, there are no commodities exchanged, you only buy a license, so the whole concept of used game is ludicrous. Why would it be cheaper the second time around you sell it? It's the same exact game.
So I don't see this happening...ever.

You always buy a license, these days. It's in the EULA.

I'd hate to see Steam working with a credit/point system, which you have to buy first. Which is what you need for this.

The second problem and reason why this won't happen is that publishers or developers who are not Valve won't benefit from this. Valve receives money through the store-credit purchase of the buying party, the publisher however won't get nothing out of it. Especially the publisher won't allow their games to be resold.
Posted Image

F%$k S%$t Stack

#5 Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

View PostBerrie, on Dec 7 2009, 08:36 AM, said:

The second problem and reason why this won't happen is that publishers or developers who are not Valve won't benefit from this. Valve receives money through the store-credit purchase of the buying party, the publisher however won't get nothing out of it. Especially the publisher won't allow their games to be resold.

You're assuming that Steam / the Publishers couldn't put in a surcharge on any resold game, either a flat rate, percentage, or flat rate + percentage of total sale. It would be very easy to do providing the sales take place through a marketplace structured on Steam. eBay is based off of this system.

The publishers might not like the idea at all, but there are certainly ways you could direct money from any transaction like that back to the publishers / Valve. Even if the surcharge was high (say 50+%), it could still be enticing to some people considering that there are games that they might never play again -- and even if they only make back 10-15% of the original purchase price, thats more than they would get back letting it sit on their virtual shelf.

You'd need some rigorous actuarial work to figure out how it would benefit the publishers, but there could be a range in which it does benefit them -- assuming there are some people who would just flat out never buy a certain game at a certain price point. Since you've already sold the game to someone once (the original purchaser through Steam), you presumably can't make any additional money off that person for the same title. However, if you let them resell their game (Steam license), you can receive additional revenue from that original sale by picking up the person who would not have bought your game at full price.

I think this is actually a brilliant idea.

G-Man Personal Aid

#6 Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

Brilliant idea. But in all actuality due to PC DRM and 1 license 1-3computers max, the chances of Preowned PC games is slim to none. Hell i don't even think EB Games or Gamespot even take preowned PC Games....

Would be awesome though -_-, or at least be able to send my games to other other people via friends network like with gift passes since i bought it and in essence fully own the damn game. Therefor I should be able to give my digital license to a friend or someone and then STEAM just disable it on my login..........and they (the friend) can pay me via pay pal or something.
They used to call me FatFunkey

F%$k S%$t Stack

#7 Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

View PostFatFunkey, on Dec 7 2009, 07:24 PM, said:

Hell i don't even think EB Games or Gamespot even take preowned PC Games....

They don't -- but this limitation will be moot in a few years anyway with DLC on the rise.

Steam does pretty much some of the same things Xbox live does -- you have a persistent player profile that exists separately from any sort of CD-key tied to one copy of a game (that's why you can exchange games -- you're just exchanging a disk).

Since Steam holds your license for you, there's no reason why that license couldn't be easily transferred to another individual.

In essence, there is absolutely no technological barrier to license resales through Steam.

I'm gonna email Gabe and suggest the idea.

G-Man Personal Aid

#8 Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

heh send him the link!
They used to call me FatFunkey

Poison Piealicious

#9 Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

View PostLaughing Stoic, on Dec 7 2009, 07:45 PM, said:

You're assuming that Steam / the Publishers couldn't put in a surcharge on any resold game, either a flat rate, percentage, or flat rate + percentage of total sale. It would be very easy to do providing the sales take place through a marketplace structured on Steam.

You are right. In essence I had thought about it. They have money on the original sale and with a charge on a resale it would in the end give them more money.
Still there's bound to be a lot of things screwy with that in the end. Economic and legal mumbo jumbo which makes it hard to set something like that up.
Posted Image

F%$k S%$t Stack

#10 Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

View PostBerrie, on Dec 9 2009, 10:22 PM, said:

You are right. In essence I had thought about it. They have money on the original sale and with a charge on a resale it would in the end give them more money.
Still there's bound to be a lot of things screwy with that in the end. Economic and legal mumbo jumbo which makes it hard to set something like that up.

First, I missed your earlier points: I see no reason why Steam would need to adopt a "point" system like Microsoft -- they could just add a surcharge at the point of sale.

Secondly, I actually think it would be fairly easy to set up!

There's no sense in which you would need have every publisher on board before launching. Think about how Steam developed in the first place -- when the 3rd party sales opened, it wasn't like opening the floodgates. Publishers slowly added their works to the catalog after Valve was able to prove the sales of the first adopters.

For a resale system, you could do the same thing. You could start small, getting a few smaller publishers on board for a pilot run, and if the system works, it will become a naturally attractive selling point to the larger publishers. Valve could even do this with their own titles first, as a vote of confidence in the system (that said, I doubt many people would want to give up anything in their Valve catalog).

The legal mumbo jumbo is all rather inconsequential -- the companies are largely going to be setting the policy here. Also, this type of system would be no more risky than any other type of cooperative agreement. I would say that the risk is actually relatively low since Steam is a proven platform which has built-in DRM protection and a bunch of other assets which protect content.

It's really a great idea, and it's unpaved territory -- one more way for Valve to innovate and get a leg up over competitors legitimately.

Son of Brumi

#11 Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:30 AM

I'm sure they've already thought of it, but it's clearly not up to them, it's the publishers decision and do you really think they would let you pay a fraction of the full price for their games ?
Posted Image
SteamID: neva- :PSN

Poison Piealicious

#12 Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

Well legal reasons quite often throw monkey wrenches.

I thought that most the EULA for games states that you in essence buy a license for the game, which is how they can allow three installs DRM. I'm not that sure about it, but I seem to recall something to that effect.

I'm just saying there could be more things coming out behind it.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users