Half-Life Fallout: PC Monitor Woes - Half-Life Fallout

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PC Monitor Woes ugh, here we go again

HLF's Official FAIL

#1 Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hello strangers,

It seems as though my wide screen 22" budget brand KDS monitor has failed me yet again. Or has it?
During the course of the past couple of days, my monitor has seeminly done.. Well, exactly whatever the hell it's wanted to. At very random intervals it will just go black (the light representing its power still remains), requiring me to turn it off then on again to regain use of my PC. This can happen 20 times in an hour, or no times in a day, it seems to be completely random.
The inverter went out in this monitor last year sometime, however when that happened I remember it going out almost IMMEDIATELY every time I powered it on. I had it sent away to be replaced.

Now, here's the kicker.
My monitor is hooked up via a DVI cable to my computer (running Windows 7 Professional, on one of the two DVI slots on my GTX260), as well as a VGA cable to my Xbox360. I have yet to witness my monitor fail while using the Xbox, which made my "graphics card is failing" senses start to tingle :(.
I've tried rolling back drivers, downloading new ones, etc but to no avail, yet it also has yet to black out on me whilst booting windows, or in the bio's screen. So, I'm pretty much stumped.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can confirm the piece of hardware (software?) that's failing?

Thanks a lot,
Seraph.
Posted Image

I am a Lie

Icon

#2 Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

If you're getting it at random intervals after you've already booted to windows and it happens regardless of whether you're in game or at your desktop, then I believe it's the monitor failing. If your graphics card were to fail, there would be artifacts on your screen and it wouldn't just go black with a simple restart of your monitor just fixing it. One thing you can check is the refresh rate, make sure that your monitor supports it, other than that, it just sounds like it's failing.
Posted Image

HLF's Official FAIL

#3 Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:29 AM

View PostCake21, on 24 December 2010 - 05:29 PM, said:

If you're getting it at random intervals after you've already booted to windows and it happens regardless of whether you're in game or at your desktop, then I believe it's the monitor failing. If your graphics card were to fail, there would be artifacts on your screen and it wouldn't just go black with a simple restart of your monitor just fixing it. One thing you can check is the refresh rate, make sure that your monitor supports it, other than that, it just sounds like it's failing.

Don't forget the fact that it works 100% of the time in the BIOs screen, as well as 100% of the time while playing xbox.
Posted Image

I am a Lie

Icon

#4 Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:49 AM

View PostSeraph, on 25 December 2010 - 12:29 AM, said:

Don't forget the fact that it works 100% of the time in the BIOs screen, as well as 100% of the time while playing xbox.

the only other thing I can think of to check besides the refresh rate are the drivers for the monitor, make sure they're up to date
Posted Image

HLF's Official FAIL

#5 Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

Thank you, Cake.

I can't believe how dead this community is. Guess I'll be on my way then.
Posted Image

Citadel Elite Guard

#6 Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

So far we know the VGA port on the monitor is good and the problem is either the dvi port on the monitor or the video card. Try plugging the DVI Cord on the other dvi port on your video card. To rule out a bad dvi port on the video card. Artifacts would indicate memory or processors or something of that sort going bad on the video card. I wouldn't exptect to see artifacts if the dvi port itself is going bad on the video. 2nd does the xbox have a dvi out? or perhaps do you own a vga-to-dvi adapter you can use to try out the xbox on the monitors dvi port? to rule out it being the monitors dvi port? last. try a new monitor using the same dvi port on your video card. may be hard to come by if you dont own another one. If all else fails buy this. I assume from you stating your using windows 7 pro that money isn't hard to come by. or your a pirate.
http://www.newegg.co...6-441-_-Product
50 bucks off with free shipping as of now. Might as well go up to 27" if your gonna buy a new one. its awesome. better picture than my old Samsung 22" and less edgebleeding. The edgebleeding is almost nonexistent compared to other large TFT monitors so ignore the reviews that claim this as an issue.... did i also mention the 1ms repsonse time

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users