Half-Life Fallout: Mod highlight: Dissolution - Half-Life Fallout

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mod highlight: Dissolution

High Priest of Onionism

Icon

#1 Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

You know what game was pretty popular a few years ago? Bioshock.
When playing Dissolution, you will undoubtedly get a familiar feeling from the backstory, the dissembodied voice talking to you every step of the way, the deserted corridors, the swarms of irrationally hostile humans, and, of course, the audio logs scattered throughout the facility. But taking inspiration from a good source is by no means a bad thing, and Dissolution pulls it off quite nicely, with decent voice acting and competent storytelling.

Posted Image

Sadly, the same can't be said about the mapping or the gameplay. the environments are confined to steel corridors and some very simple rooms, with very little variation. On the plus side, the extremly low poly architecture used in the maps and the props probably mean that this mod will run well even on a 10 year old machine. Still, if you can get over the overall bland ugliness of the environment, you may enjoy the little mystery story. There is also one inventive enemy type which I won't spoil for you.

Posted Image

It took me about 3 hours to get to the end, which is a very respectable lenght for a mod, especially when all the mapping, texturing, modeling & design are done by one person (3 for the music and some more for voice acting). However, after the first 20 minutes or so, I realised it's just copy/paste repetition of the same actions and events. Find a keycard on a desk next to an audio log, open a door, fight a mob of 3-6 identical brain-dead enemies, listen to some narration, lather rinse and repeat. After a while, it felt like a chore to play.

I don't mean to be overly harsh on what is almost a single-man project, but I think his effort should have been put into a shorter and more intense experience.

Despite my criticism, I suggest you give this a try. It won't blow your mind, but it's a palatable experience.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users