• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORIGIN - EA's answer to Steam

Citadel Elite Guard

#46 Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:26 AM

View PostDyingTickles, on 15 June 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

I'm mostly worried about re-downloading on Origin and also if retail copies need to be "activated" on it like some need to be with Steam. I don't mind that with Steam since it's proven itself over the past several years, but EA Store already failed, and Origin is getting a lot of hate, and if that fails I don't want to be out a few games.

yea and Steam got amazing reviews its first year. People were like, "OMG STEAM IS GREAT!". not defending origin. just saying its gonna have some snags along the way like everything else.

Your God, Lord, and Master

#47 Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:30 AM

View Postmothmann, on 28 August 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

yea and Steam got amazing reviews its first year. People were like, "OMG STEAM IS GREAT!". not defending origin. just saying its gonna have some snags along the way like everything else.

Hence my comment about Steam having proven itself for several years. I was just as hesitant with Steam when it first came out (maybe even more so since digital distribution was still in its infancy).
fka WetFart
Xbox Live: Hasan i Sabbah PSN: DyingTickles120
Steam: solidus2084 Steam Display Name: DyingTickles
Origin: DyingTickles

Ex-News Team

#48 Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

This is the most troubling thing I have read about Origin...

http://www.rockpaper...-more-sinister/

Bad EA :whack: :whack:
PSN: EscapeArtist
Origin: EscapeArtist
XBL: EscapeArt1st
Steam: EscapeArt1st

Ex-News Team

#49 Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

Also this is pretty uncool...

http://www.rockpaper...ctive-accounts/

:blink:
PSN: EscapeArtist
Origin: EscapeArtist
XBL: EscapeArt1st
Steam: EscapeArt1st

Prowler

#50 Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

I'm not as worried about the scanning as I am the deactivation. I signed up for the similar scanning the Valve hardware servery performs. I can understand why people would avoid Origin because of it. With Steam it is optional and I trust Valve more than EA. If Steam is still my main service it is easier to see me not using Origin for two years. I would be more worried about losing my stuff then EA stealing my catgirl picture collection. Either way they are both things that will detour people...
Posted Image
"Now, if a unicorn can regenerate magic faster than the headcrab can suck...
We could have a super headcrab epidemic on our hands." -EatChildren

Poison Piealicious

#51 Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

So they released some numbers on Origin.

Seems like there are already over 9000 million who activated the service and it's made $ 100 million in revenue.

Looks like they've got a pretty good start, but I wonder how many of those 9.3 million actually bought/regularly use the service.
I know I downloaded and installed it just to see what it looks like and have since than opened it only once.
Posted Image

Mr Macintosh

Icon

#52 Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I only use it for bf3 and I don't even go on that anymore because it just crashes now after one of the patches.

Hupsakee!

Icon

#53 Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostCity 17, on 05 February 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

I only use it for bf3 and I don't even go on that anymore because it just crashes now after one of the patches.

you and 99% of other people.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Mr. Frost

#54 Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Guess they'll basically count up all EA store purchases to Origin revenue now. Would be nice to see the active/online users graph, similar to Steam :P. I'd say there's mostly BF3, NFS and Sports games people online?

Mr Macintosh

Icon

#55 Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostBrumisator, on 05 February 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

you and 99% of other people.

Really gutted about it because I haven't been able to play back to karkand maps :(

Hupsakee!

Icon

#56 Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

I have balls ovaries of steel.

My only game on origin is the sims 3.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#57 Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

I too installed origin but have not purchased anything yet. It looks like Mass Effect 3 may change that.

Once it comes out of beta and is fully open to other devs Valve may have to reduce their margins on non-Valve Steam games. May result in cheaper games for us.

G-Man Personal Aid

#58 Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

If I trusted EA not to be intrusive or inconvenient I might have tried it.

Also I had no idea about it until today when I saw this thread.

Oh well. GG Steam.

Poison Piealicious

#59 Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostHumbug, on 05 February 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I too installed origin but have not purchased anything yet. It looks like Mass Effect 3 may change that.

Once it comes out of beta and is fully open to other devs Valve may have to reduce their margins on non-Valve Steam games. May result in cheaper games for us.

More developers are signing on, but I get the feeling this is going to lead to more exclusiveness in both distribution platforms.
You either go with your own DRM and be able to use both or us theirs and become exclusive for one or the other.
Posted Image

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users