Half-Life Fallout: Half-Life 2: Episode Four Concept Art? - Half-Life Fallout

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life 2: Episode Four Concept Art? Wait... wut?

^Gorlyx Freevance

#1 Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

I don't believe I have ever seen a thread about this here. Today I came across this article (which is actually dated from last years march). It claims that at some point 'HL2: Episode Four' was in development by a company other than Valve. I do remember hearing things about a possible fourth episode not that long after ep1's release, but later the idea merely seemed to have been nothing but just speculation when Episode 3 was said to close off the HL2 Combine story arc...

Now it seems that there was actually concept art being done for this mysterious episode, which in some sources is said to would been have focused on a different character other than Gordon Freeman (presumably Alyx, or even Adrian Shephard, source). The concept artist seemed to be working for EA at the time, and has posted 6 pieces of concept art on his website.

The project does appear canceled as seen in the description of the pieces of concept art. But still, I thought it was pretty interesting!
What do you guys think?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Conspiracy signature!

Ivan the Space Biker's Personal Aid

Icon

#2 Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

it wouldn't be rare for Valve to work with other companies to develop games based of the half life franchise (gearbox, etc). If Valve's episodic mechanism was functional, we would likely see a stream of episodes being churned out and sure, it would make sense for Valve to pursue subcontracting episodes to others. I believe that, at this point, Valve would rather end the story arc and move on to new things (like making millions off kids from digipen)  
Posted Image

Mr Macintosh

Icon

#3 Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

That guy looks to be more like the style they were doing for hl2 which had similar concept art...
There isn't anything there that is surprising though I would love to see more stuff in City 17 maybe before freeman was there.

City 17 Civilian

#4 Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Judging by the quality of the art, versus the quality of actual Half Life 2 conceptual artwork, I would say this is from a community mod. Don't get me wrong, it's good art, just not Valve levels of good. Certain elements seem more amateurish compared to officially released art.

Throwing feces at your screen.

#5 Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

View Postaustinx, on 09 January 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Judging by the quality of the art, versus the quality of actual Half Life 2 conceptual artwork, I would say this is from a community mod. Don't get me wrong, it's good art, just not Valve levels of good. Certain elements seem more amateurish compared to officially released art.

Totally agree. This does not look like official concept-art. Which is probably also why noone has turned this into an actual newspost (since it isn't newsworthy :P).
Posted Image
SPAAAACEEE!

#steamid: stfutnx

^Gorlyx Freevance

#6 Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

Well, it kind of makes sense that if another company other than Valve would have done the episode, they would have most likely also done its concept art...

That however, doesn't mean I would consider it true Half-Life concept art, I agree on that.
Posted Image
Conspiracy signature!

Poison Piealicious

#7 Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well it seems like it's legit in the article.

Still the project would probably have been finished before Valve will even make any sort of announcement relating to Episode 3.
Posted Image

Your God, Lord, and Master

#8 Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostBerrie, on 10 January 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Well it seems like it's legit in the article.

Still the project would probably have been finished before Valve will even make any sort of announcement relating to Episode 3.

Episode 4 was completed years ago and is currently sitting in a vault in the bowels of Valve headquarters.
fka WetFart
Xbox Live: Hasan i Sabbah PSN: DyingTickles120
Steam: solidus2084 Steam Display Name: DyingTickles
Origin: DyingTickles

Icon

#9 Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:07 AM

View PostDyingTickles, on 10 January 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Episode 4 was completed years ago and is currently sitting in a vault in the bowels of Valve headquarters.

Gabe Newell,

greatest troll to have ever roamed the earth

Posted Image

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#10 Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thing is we had two entire games based in City 17. i.e. HL2 and Ep1. People were pretty sick of those surroundings after that so Ep2 was a welcome change. Now I really doubt Valve would send us back there in another HL game. Also story wise the citadel is destroyed in Ep1 and the combine armies are clearly shown marching out of City 17 in Ep2.

This just doesn't make sense

^Gorlyx Freevance

#11 Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

Maybe it would have been a prequel? Or a story line that would have taken place at the same time as HL2/EP1/Ep2 did.
Shephard, anyone?
Posted Image
Conspiracy signature!

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#12 Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Even IGN is getting desperate :(
http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1216238p1.html

Poison Piealicious

#13 Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostHumbug, on 11 January 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

Isn't that a recurring prediction. When hasn't a new year started with some gaming-media predicting new consoles and the next Half-Life.
Posted Image

G-Man Personal Aid

#14 Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

View PostHumbug, on 11 January 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

The mayan calendar? It is all coming together now, the world will change dec 21 2012 because HL:3 will be Unveiled!

But if Valve wasn't waiting for the announcement of next-generation hardware to reveal Half-Life 3, then what else accounts for Valve's intense secrecy regarding the franchise?

Fans, fans of HL want a sequel hence why it is taking so long, and fans said in the past Valve should have cept more of HL2 and the episodes secret. But fans also said they wanted the game sooner.

I am mrfox and I approve this message.

Icon

#15 Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

Remember, Valve left TF2 hidden for almost a decade and the result was spectacular, so dont worry about HL3/Ep3, its going to come when its ready AND WITH HATS!

Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users