Half-Life Fallout: Gabe gives Update on Last Year's Intrusion - Half-Life Fallout

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gabe gives Update on Last Year's Intrusion

Mr Macintosh

Icon

#1 Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Gabe Newell has sent out an update on last year's intrusion which will be sent out to all Steam users, he reports that the intruders took a copy of a backup file with information containing user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information but did not include Steam passwords.

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users
We continue our investigation of last year's intrusion with the help of outside security experts. In my last note about this, I described how intruders had accessed our Steam database but we found no evidence that the intruders took information from that database. That is still the case.

Recently we learned that it is probable that the intruders obtained a copy of a backup file with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008. This backup file contained user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. It did not include Steam passwords.

We do not have any evidence that the encrypted credit card numbers or billing addresses have been compromised. However as I said in November it's a good idea to watch your credit card activity and statements. And of course keeping Steam Guard on is a good idea as well.

We are still investigating and working with law enforcement authorities. Some state laws require a more formal notice of this incident so some of you will get that notice, but we wanted to update everyone with this new information now.

Gabe

Hupsakee!

Icon

#2 Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

states... STATES? He's running an international service and Gabe is still that ethnocentric.
Well that's the last straw, I'm never using steam again!

OK, OK, I'm joking. It's nice of them to keep us informed. Hooray for Steam Guard and hooray for at least using proper encryption.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Mr Macintosh

Icon

#3 Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Oh missed off a line at the end:

We also have been informed that the intruders also took the names and addresses of your mothers from our dropbox account, my password was 'gaben'. I was going to get around to changing it but I had to check out this Steam group playing Half-Life 2 that was trying to get my attention so I would give some info on the next Half-Life game. So stupidly I got so distracted with getting our TF2 hat team started on Episode 3 I just completely forgot about changing my password. I'm really sorry but now I have changed it to 'Gnewell' so now all your info should be safe. Sorry again :(

Hupsakee!

Icon

#4 Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Eh, nice try, C17. Not believable for a second.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Mr Macintosh

Icon

#5 Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thats what it says, don't shoot the sexy messenger.

Prowler

#6 Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostBrumisator, on 10 February 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Hooray for Steam Guard and hooray for at least using proper encryption.

Oh Sony... It's still fun to pick on you!
Posted Image
"Now, if a unicorn can regenerate magic faster than the headcrab can suck...
We could have a super headcrab epidemic on our hands." -EatChildren

Sex bomb

#7 Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Supposedly Sony used proper encryption as well and it was something twisted up through hearsay.

Mr Macintosh

Icon

#8 Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostEl Inspector, on 10 February 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Supposedly Sony used proper encryption as well and it was something twisted up through hearsay.

The bigger mess up was how they handled communication.

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#9 Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

As I said before although this is a wakeup call for them, still nothing bad is going to come out of this as the hackers will never be able to break the encryption.

However I still don't see why Steam needs to store my credit card number, it's not like I buy stuff everyday and they should ask me to enter it every single time.

Moderator Emeritus

#10 Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this. Although information on the matter has been slow, at least they are keeping the community up to date.

Go Valve!
Posted Image

Prowler

#11 Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Read the email this morning. It claims that the intrusion may have taken place in 2009...
Posted Image
Posted Image
"Now, if a unicorn can regenerate magic faster than the headcrab can suck...
We could have a super headcrab epidemic on our hands." -EatChildren

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#12 Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

Well if the intrusion happened in 2009... it's now 2012 and we still haven't had any credit card misuse or steam accounts compromised because of this. I guess as Gabe says this communication is for legal reasons only...

Poison Piealicious

#13 Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Wait these hackers had access this access from 2009 to 2011 onward! :o
Posted Image

Hupsakee!

Icon

#14 Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostBerrie, on 11 February 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Wait these hackers had access this access from 2009 to 2011 onward! :o

No, that is not what is said at all.
The legal letter says that they got access in 2009.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Poison Piealicious

#15 Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostBrumisator, on 12 February 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

No, that is not what is said at all.
The legal letter says that they got access in 2009.

Yes, but since this is about yesteryear intrusion, that does seem to imply that, if these are the same people, they began in 2009 and where detected in 2011.
Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users